History of B’nai Moshe – Summary
On September 2, 1911, nine Hungarian Jewish men organized a new synagogue to continue their European traditions. Though one short of the ten men required to hold services, they went forward and named the shul “Bait Eliyahu,” in honor of Elias Einzig, a highly respected member of the congregation. The congregation met in rented quarters and a small home, and its membership increased to seventy families. In 1917, the growing congregation decided to erect its first permanent home, at the corner of Garfield and Beaubien in Detroit. Short of funds, Mr. Einzig offered to sell the name of the congregation to the highest bidder. The sons of Moshe Gunsberg raised the most money, and renamed the shul “B’nai Moshe,” the Sons of Moshe.
In 1929, after 12 short years in our first home, we moved to a new building at Dexter and Lawrence, in northwest Detroit. We continued our growth by merging with the Detroit Hungarian Hebrew Congregation in 1934. By 1959, many of our members had moved to the suburbs, and so did B’nai Moshe, worshipping at a structure at Ten Mile and Kenosha in Oak Park. In July 1992, we moved into our current home in West Bloomfield, adding a school wing in 1997.
In 2011, the members of Congregation Beit Kodesh joined us.
To see a more detailed description of our history, click on the either of the first two links below.
The other four links reproduce the four “display boards” which were created, one for each of our four buildings. The boards are on display in the foyer of the West Bloomfield building.
The last link is the history of Congregation Beit Kodesh up to 2011.